I decided that for this project I should only use things I can find in my studio. My collection of stuff has filled my available space and desperately needs a clean out but I hate throwing things out – our rubbish dumps are filled with stuff that people just got tired of or wanted the latest version of and besides if I empty it out I can collect a new lot!
So what have I got to work with?
- A box of Indian glass beads that I bought on eBay for a song – I just love the wholesale lots in eBay
- Plenty of left over felt and fabric – its exploding from the containers
- Scraps of wool tops
- An assortment of dimensional paint
- Embroidery threads
- Embossing powders
- Fishing line
I pulled them all out and stared at them for quite a while, then rearranged them in lines, then in groups, piles, colour ways, textures and generally fluffed about for a day. Being that this is a challenge to use only what I already have, I find just looking at the collection will inspire me, especially if I leave it for 24 hours – a very Zen thing to do! BUT! I will still get out my design book once the inspiration has hit me. There are measurements and calculations that need to be considered;
- How wide and long is the archway?
- How many strips of curtain do I need?
- How wide should they be?
- Should they all be the same width?
- How many beads do I have and how far can I spread them?
- How much felt and fabric do I have?
- How much felt will my leftover wool tops make?
and so on. Next post – the design. Ciao